[modeleng] Re: new website

  • From: "Jesse Livingston" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 15:01:27 -0600

Ken,

The thing that Winans was supposed to have been trying to interest the
Yankees in was called a "steam cannon" so I assumed it was made to send out
a substantial projectile.

The centrifugal machine gun would appear to me to be more dangerous to the
user than any Rebels that might be around.  The slightest dysfunction in the
timing would allow bullets to come out at the wrong place, maybe even
backwards.

A gent named Porter down in Memphis invented a revolving rifle that operated
like a vertical turret with 6 or 8 chambers in it.  Naturally some of the
chambers were pointed back toward the operator so eventually the inventor
was supposedly killed by one of his rifles.  To make matters worse, he had a
powder and ball magazine that sat atop the turret.  Idea was to have a
charge of powder drop in a chamber and that be followed by a ball.  A
genuine disaster waiting to happen.  I know that at least one of the
powder/bullet magazines was built because I know a fellow who bought one at
a gun show.  Nicely made of brass and engraved all over, but I wouldn't want
to be close to it when it was on the rifle.

Jesse in cooler, but not cold West Tennessee