[modeleng] Workshops

  • From: "Tim Rickard" <the_viffer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 10:49:52 +0000

We are considering some building works at Rickard Heights.

The workshop is currently in a 1920's garage which is single skinned
blockwork construction with a pitched tiled roof. It is cold and a little
damp in the winter and I have to share it with a couple of the Frau Doktor's
bikes and assorted rodents. I also have a "pigsty" or study which is warm
and well lit so that I can do some assembly and minor handworking jobs
there. it is on the first floor by english reckoning ie up some stairs.
Complete locos are not welcomed there, even if I could drag them up there,
certainly once they have been run and since there are also a couple of beds
in there swarf generation is not conducive to visitor sleeping comfort (but
since that encourages 'em to go 'ome I don't mind that much).

In the garden we have a derelict shed I think it is about 12' x 6' also home
to large numbers of rodents and bicycles. It has a decent looking concrete
float.

(When we bought the house 12 years ago the surveyor reported on the various
outbuildings in the garden and mentioned this one and pointedly said it was
of no mortgagable value. I've been waiting for it to fall down in storms
ever since but I may have long wait. Someone knocked at our door and said
that she used to live in the house 40 years ago and could she look round.
She saw the shed and laughed saying it had looked like that 50 years ago.)

One plan is to demolish the shed and have a new workshop constructed. What
form of construction is recommended? I don't want to pay stupid money of
course but the options, relative merits and costs would be very interesting.

We are considering also have a loft conversion and it maybe that my sty will
migrate heavenwards. Has any one any experience of that for light model
making and in particular for using a very small lathe which I have for
turning up fittings and bits when I don't feel like being St Wenceslas? Is
there anything to look out for when devising a loft conversion?