[modeleng] Workshop planning advice

  • From: "R.L. Roebuck" <rlr20@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 10:33:46 +0000 (GMT)

Hi there All,

I'm just turning my attentions to possibly building a small workshop
extension on the rear of my house, and wondered if anyone had any advice
as concerns UK Planning and Buildings Regulations.

Basically we have a small brick built outbuilding which is fairly small (3
foot by 7 foot) with a pitched tiled roof on it.

At it's closest point the outbuilding is 7 feet away from the house, but
it attached to the house by a 7 foot high brick wall (note neither the wall
or the outbuilding are within 2 metres ofthe property boundary), the wall
could form one side of the new workshop...

...and there is a 7 by 7 foot concrete pad between the outbuilding and the
house.

My plan is to remove the front from the outbuilding and build a second
wall thus enclosing the concrete pad by walls on all sides and forming a
workshop which is about 17 cubic metres, once I put a flat roof on.

I reckon from the downloadable document at the foot of this web page...

http://www.communities.gov.uk/index.asp?id=1144635

...I don't need planning permission, as it counts as a home extension
within the volumes I am entitled to extend by, but I can't find anything
that suggests I am in any way exempt from needing building regulations
approval (the documents seem to suggest I can't count it as an outbuilding
as it is attached/within-5-metres of my house).

If anyone out there has any knowledge/experience of this, I'd appreciate a
few pointers.

Yours,

Rich.