[modeleng] Re: Wobblers

  • From: "Jeff Dayman" <jeffdayman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 17:56:02 -0500

Hi All,

I've actually gotten away from using a wobbler in the past few months. I
bought an electric edge finder with a 1/2 inch shank, and a .200" tip
(concentric with the shank to a very small tolerance) , with an internal
lamp and battery. When you fasten the shank in the toolholder or milling
collet, and touch the small end to the work, it lights up. Since it's
electrical, there is extremely low overtravel, unlike a regular rotating
edge finder. I estimate repeatability of it to be about .0005" or less.

I find myself using it more and more for setups both in the mill and lathe,
and it's not let me down yet. Best $30.00 I've spent in a long time.

By the way, I picked up a Taiwanese RF30 mill in the fall, and have
reconditioned it, it's working well. I built a table feed for it that also
takes the donkey work away. Not the Bridgeport of my dreams, but fine for
now and better than no mill (and the price was right). Got two axes fitted
with digital verniers, now have to find a cheapie with 20" travel!

Cheers Jeff Dayman