[modeleng] Re: Winson 14xx model

  • From: "Clif Walker" <clif.gwr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 21:11:33 -0000

Hi.

I sorted one of these Winson 14 XX's out some years ago as I like a
challenge. As I remember the so called drawings were more of an hinderence
than a help.
Some of the mods I seem to remember was replace all the Winson steel screws
into the water tanks with brass, check that the linkage that works the
regulator is stainless, dont use the fibre glass to glue the tanks, solder
them, dont glue the rivets in but rivet them correctly and then run solder
round them, dont use Locktite on the buffer stocks, silver solder them,
replace the O rings on the pistons with  piston rings ( challenge on a
piston only 6mm long but it can be done) increase the steam way sizes from
the ports to the cylinders, check that the covers dont blank off the steam
ways, fit springs between the Yokes and the slide valves, rebuild the blast
pipe as the cylinder block is tilted and if you use the Winson set up the
blast pipe is at an angle to the chimney, fit a petticoat pipe, fit stiff
springs on the rear axle otherwise the loco sits back and you finish up with
only the rear drivers driving, rebuild the gauge glass otherwise you can
only see about 3/8" of water, solder the tank fillers.
I seem to recollect that I modified the valve adjustment arrangement so that
it actually could be adjusted.

Winson used Locktite to fix just about everything if you want an engine that
will last build it correctly.

Best of luck but with care they can be converted into a nice engine as the
one I did ran like a dream.

Clif