[modeleng] Re: Windows

  • From: "Jeff D" <jeffdayman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 19:48:49 +0000

Hi Alan,

A caboose is a North American end-of-train car for the brakemen and
conductors (and sometimes spare crews) on freight trains to ride in. Some
but not most passenger trains used them also. Train line air pressure and
the state of the train could be watched from there. In the real old days
before air brakes, brakemen would climb out onto the train car roofs from
the caboose and manually wind down the brakes on each car.

Many cabooses had a raised cupola midway along the car with raised seats
(and ladders to get to them) for crew to sit in and watch the top of the
train. Usually there was a coal or oil stove for heat and for cooking, and
bunks for crews to rest on long hauls. Drinking and wash water was carried
in a wall mounted tank, and a sink was provided for washing. Some later
units had onboard toilets also. Flags,lamps, lamp oil, and torpedos would be
stored in the caboose.

The cabooses are rarely used anymore, as remote radio end of train monitors
have replaced the need for the large train crews and thus the housing for
them isn't needed either. Most large modern diesel locos have a third seat
for conductors or brakemen, and have many facilities previously found in the
caboose.

If you google "caboose" I'm sure you will get many hits and pictures.

Cheers Jeff Dayman