[modeleng] Windows

  • From: "Jesse Livingston" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 08:48:03 -0500

Recently our club, Mid-South Live Steamer's, purchased a used L&N steel caboose
to use as office at the meets and it was noticed that several of the windows
had been welded over with 1/4" thick steel plates.  I found out that this was
because of a 1980s mandate by our benevolent government that cabeese be fitted
with shatterproof glass in all windows as protection against thrown bricks when
passing through ghettos .  It was deemed cheaper to armor plate the windows
with steel rather than shatterproof glass, but a few windows were not covered
over.  Some railroads opted to cover over all of the side windows, but our
caboose has two glass windows to each side.  Also, the cupola windows were not
covered over as one really does need to keep an eye out for hot boxes etc.
Of course, hotboxes are pretty much a thing of the past these days of roller
bearings so the cabeese have gone the way of steam locomotives.  This has made
it really hard on hoboes as they depended on the oil soaked string packing in
the boxes as fire starters for their camp fires.  Maybe the hoboes are gone as
well?

Jesse in Troy, TN where it has warmed up into the 70s today.