[modeleng] Re: Topsy - to charge and how to charge, that is the question!

Hi there Peter,

Can I ask - how are you acheiving motor control in all of this. Do you
have a PWM unit lined up such as 4QD supply, or are you thinking of using
a large resistance, or something else?

Also, do you have any details from the makers/ratings plate on the
alternator?

Yours,

Rich.

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005, Peter Sheppard wrote:

> John,
>
> Thanks for that.
>
> I note the use of the diode, but shouldn't it be the +ive terminal to the
> battery ? (the pointy end!)
>
> With regard to the petrol/electric bit, my main concern is that when the motor
> is pulling serious current (it limits at 96A on 24v dc) then the alternator
> will try and fill that gap (or at least it will try until it current limits).
>
> I only have a 3/4 hp petrol engine driving the alternator, so I have visions
> that it may stall.  The only thing I suppose is to try it.  I have no idea
> what
> the maximum charge current of a 24v alternator is - any suggestions?
>
> Cheers
>
> Peter
MODEL ENGINEERING DISCUSSION LIST.