[modeleng] Re: Throw away society

  • From: Daniel Donnelly <kc7vda@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 13:16:07 -0700

Hello Clif and the group;
Regarding  the throw away society, I have to agree with Clif,.

During the 50's, when I was a high school student in my home town of
Tucson, Ariz. at that time,  it was common for a young man in high
school to get a part time job and apprentice into some field.
 At 14, and dumber than a box of rocks, I started working after school
in a friend's radio shop. That led in the following year, to my
spending my Saturdays and evenings for  the next 2 years doing scutt
work in a small machine shop, and in turn, during my last year at
Catalina High School, to a part time job at the University of Arizona.
While I was definitely no genius, I  still kept a GPA of 3.80 (A- or
B+) and continued to work after school while I went to university.
Throughout my life as I have worked in many fields, those 4 years have
served me and those I worked for very, very well.

Today the owners of those small businesses ... managed by fine men who
patiently taught me how to do an honest day's work,  who put up with
my many stupidities and forgave the material that I ruined ... would
be fined and/or jailed: it's the Law.
Never mind that in those four short years ... while I cost these
patient owners lost time, lost material and looking back on it,
probably lost  customers ...   they taught me how to approach, analyze
and complete any job I might be called upon to do.
They taught me to proudly do whatever job I may have taken in " A
professional manner".
Whatever field I have worked in I was what used to be called a "craftsman"
.
If I were 17 today, and tried to apply for that same part time job at
the U/A,  I would not be allowed to apply no matter how good my
references were or how willing I was to work: it's the Law.

The very modest pay, ( $3.00 to $5.00 for 4 hours work ) that I
received went into my many interests and later into the bank to buy a
car, radio repair equipment, tools, etc.

The last time I checked ( about 25 years ago) very few businesses
offer an apprenticeship program, or  allow a young man to find his way
into his field of choice.
Those businesses that still do are usually affiliated with a union.
Today, anyone hired is  expected to be fully trained in whatever field
they will work in. Where they are to get the training is a mystery to
me.

Hang with me just a little longer, I am getting to the point... yes,
there really is a point.

That point is that America has been "subverted" into becoming a "
post-industrial " nation.
 When I say  "subverted" I don't mean that there is some "Yellow
Peril" that has stealthily infiltrated our borders ... quietly, ...
deliberately ... inserting its slimy tendrils into our highest
offices,  bribing some, threatening others, ultimately coercing those
in our government into ordering all manufacturing to China ( or some
3rd world nation ).
 It hasn't happened that way at all, ... there is no "Yellow Peril"
...  we did it to ourselves, we poisoned ourselves with a concept, an
appealing Idea.

That poisonous Idea became popular about 60 years ago. I know that you
have heard it, probably said it when you debated  some action in your
business:
    " THE BOTTOM LINE IS THE BOTTOM LINE".
That is the  poison that is or perhaps has killed this nation.
The statement that historians like to use is:
 " Every great nation commits suicide"
 The statement " the bottom line is the bottom line" has been our
bottle of sleeping pills and our whisky.

Consider this,

We seldom manufacture anything.
Why should we?
It costs mere pennies per day to hire a worker in Asia, Cambodia, Mexico etc.
Why should we pay $60.00 an hour for a trained worker when we can get
the same work done for $0.60 PER DAY in another country?
In many other countries, taxes are nonexistent, or very low ( you may
even be subsidized by the American government). You, as a
manufacturer, are free of all the burdensome rules and regulations: no
overtime, no sick leave, no retirement etc... etc.
Whatever the nation you hire to make your "widget" will probably even
build your manufacturing plant for you.
When you consider all these factors, you as the owner of a business
see that your product can be made so much cheaper ... and is so much
more profitable if made in another country!
 After all, " THE BOTTOM LINE IS THE BOTTOM LINE"!.

We seldom repair anything... never mind that the device could be
repaired by changing a single part ...and never mind that by throwing
it away you fill the landfill and pollute the environment ... after
all, isn't it usually cheaper to just buy a new one ... and, of
course, it's so much more profitable, for me, if you can't repair it
....  especially, if I make it in another country.
Isn't it true that, that as an owner of a business,  I must consider
the  stockholders and aren't  I required to maximize my profits?
After all, "THE BOTTOM LINE IS THE BOTTOM LINE".

If we seldom make anything, or seldom repair anything, why should I,
as owner, stockholder or fiduciary want to make repair parts easily
available ...  that would be just a waste of time and materials and
would only encourage people to repair their "widget".
As far as that goes, why would I want to even train young people to be
repairmen or technicians? As an owner or manufacturer, I profit if it
cannot be repaired!
As an Owner, Stockholder or fiduciary I am not "my brother's keeper".
My sole interest is profit. These workers will have to find other jobs
to pay their bills.
after all, " The bottom line... etc... etc"

I have been on every end of the stick.
I have been the Worker, the Supervisor, Middle Management, and Owner
of my business.
Every example I have used, I have taken from the mouth of a real live person,
and have experienced it applied to me.

The thoughtless application of Capitalism is why Clif has such a hard
time getting his part,  and the thoughtless application of Capitalism
is why each and every craftsman on this list is a dying breed.
Like the buggy whip, craftsmanship is no longer needed in a nation
that has no industry, and we have become a nation without industry.

I am very much a Capitalist, but PURE Capitalism, like every other
"ism" is horribly destructive to the nation practicing it.
Virtually every problem this nation is presently suffering from can be
traced back to the ruthless application of Capitalism.
To be productive, Capitalism must be applied with care and tempered
with compassion or "THE BOTTOM LINE will truly be THE BOTTOM LINE" for
this nation.
A nation is only as rich as it's people, and you cannot have a nation
of just shop keepers and burger flippers any more than you can have a
house solely composed of doorknobs and shingles.

While I have much more to say, I will stop my rant here and thank Clif
and the rest of the group for allowing me the chance to vent some
steam before my boiler explodes.
Thank you
Dan