[modeleng] Re: Steam engine RPM?

  • From: fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 05:57:44 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Them things were about before the advent of the cheap plug-in compressors
Jeff - they were popular as an alternative to hand pumping back in the
70's - also pre electronic ignition, oxygen sensor and catalytic converter.

I have one of those dinky little 12 volt compressors that I carry in our camper
(caravan for you Brits).  It does the job, but is deadly slow, especially when
trying to pump up a trailer tyre to 65psi.  It would work on our 7-1/2" gauge
trains for brake air, but I don't think I would try to run a model engine on it
unless I didn't mind waiting a lengthy time between runnings.  Oh, they get hot
if operated very long.

Jesse in Tennessee