[modeleng] Re: Steam engine RPM?

  • From: "shep" <shep.28@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 10:40:27 +0100

Dear Al

Our hearts go out to you all at this time of a great national calamity.   We
particularly think of you, whilst your eldest son is doing search and
rescue, and trying to control looting, in these foul and dangerous
conditions.

To talk of more happy things - Pierre's engine sounds interesting indeed!
I spend most of my time making tools.     Presently, rather crazily at my
age, I am making a small, but heavy and hopefully precision, screw-cutting
lathe.    This is being machined from large lumps of solid cast iron -
producing masses of swarf and dirty carbon dust!    When visitors see my
workshop, they ask 'What do you make?'   I answer, 'tools'.   They then ask,
'what do you make then?' and I answer 'more tools'.   In order to divert
these questions, I made a few stationary steam engines, including one
oscillator from scrap with a 1/16" piston.
I was making a Stuart 10V engine from castings, when I had the crazy idea of
making one half that size, about 3 inches high.   It was easy to reduce the
plans to about 48%, but from there on everything had to be made out of the
solid (mainly brass).   The making the body of the engine, the flywheel, and
the minute slide valve, created interesting problems.   To my amazement the
engine runs beautifully on compressed air, making a noise like a bumble-bee!
Looks quite pretty, too!

Cheers!

Hubert