[modeleng] Re: Steam engine RPM?

  • From: Allen Messer <al_messer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 05:35:46 -0700 (PDT)

O.K., Tony, in that case, I wil suggest a "Water Tube
Marine Boiler" as they are even easier to construct
and are very fast steamers.  The little Copper boiler
I made had a drum of about 3" in diameter and around
12--16 1/4" Copper water tubes.  I fire it with a
home-made Propane burner and it steams very well.  If
you can get ahold of a copy of Harris' book, it is
very close to being Design No. 12, "Scott Marine or
Stationary Boiler", on Page 167-168.

Al

--- Terry Lane <tel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Granted a vertical boiler can be somewhat easier to
> make Al, but they tend
> to dwarf you engines. For that reason I prefer the
> horizontal boiler for a
> stationary steam plant.
>
> > Tony, may I suggest a design?  I would consider a
> > Vertical Firetube design, such as the LBSC design,
> MAP
> > plan No. LO-86 and fire it with Propane since you
> want
> > a small reliable boiler for operating your models
> > mainly at home.  I think that this boiler is well
> > within your abilities.
> >
> > Al Messer
> >
> > --- Phill Smith <steam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > Tony,
> > >
> > > I, personally, don't understand why you don't
> just
> > > make your own. They are
> > > really easy to make. There is nothing hard about
> it
> > > at all.
> > >
> > > All you need is the following;
> > >
> > > - oxy-acetylene torch (use the cutting torch as
> the
> > > large quantity of small
> > > flames is the best heat source)
> > > - Copper tube (for both barrel and end plates,
> > > flues, and Galloway tubes if
> > > required)
> > > - Gun metal / Phosphor bronze for bushes
> > > - steel for endplate former
> > > - Silver solder (2 grades) -- 245 (45% silver)
> for
> > > bushes and
> > > lues/tubes:  -- 115 (15% silver) for attaching
> your
> > > end plates.
> > > - Sulphuric acid (battery acid) for pickle bath.
> > > add 1L of acid to 10L
> > > water, and find this OK if I get it on my hands
> (no
> > > burns)
> > > - 20L plastic bucket for pickle bath
> > > - Flux (for the 245 silversolder)
> > > - Hand tools
> > >
> > > That's about it........ Of the top of my head I
> > > can"t think of anything
> > > else.....
> > >
> > > The first thing to do when deciding to build a
> > > boiler is to decide your
> > > fuel.... As that will often determine the style
> of
> > > boiler that you build.
> > > Have a look in Harris's book at the different
> > > styles/configurations of
> > > boilers, and then decide how big you want it.
> Then
> > > start making it..... It's
> > > that easy.
> > > I would seriously recommend that you get hold of
> > > copy of the Aussie copper
> > > boiler code, as this will solve all your
> thickness
> > > and stay sizing/spacing
> > > issues. Something to note though, is that the
> Aussie
> > > code tends to use much
> > > thicker materials than required, as it is
> designed
> > > to protect EVERYONE from
> > > the idiot boiler builder.

> [...]
=== message truncated ===