[modeleng] Re: Solder Qestion

  • From: "Andrew Houston" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 10:20:59 +0100

Bede

Less chance than a snowball has of not melting in hell.

If part of the boiler is in cold water, you'll probably find that you can't
get the rest up to temperature.

Your other problem would probably be that, if you did manage to get the
thing up to Hard-solder temp, scale would flake off inside and who knows
what other problems would be caused.

I suppose if it's already ruined, you can only try.  If it's mechanically
sound, why not just use Consol ?

FYU.  Couple of lads tried to "save" one of our club loco's boiler which had
sprung a leak around the fire-hole.  No comsol in it.  They used oxy-acet to
get local heat.  Kept chasing more and more leaks and then found that they'd
baked the internal crud so that it blocked the blow-down and clack bushes
which are low down on the backhead.  We're making a new boiler.

Andy