[modeleng] Re: Shed Roofing in U K ????

  • From: "R.L. Roebuck" <rlr20@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 01:41:32 +0100 (BST)

A similar question came up between myself and an Australian colleague.
Over here in the UK for a few year, and working on our team, we needed to
knock up a makeshift building.

As we wandered round the DIY shops after padlocks, he kept saying he'd
just take a look and see if they had any corrugated iron. I told him not a
chance, and we got to talking.

My take on it is that in residential areas in UK, fences are mainly
wooden slats, and sheds are made of timber also, and rusty iron
rooves just aren't the in thing, and haven't really been for decades
(although a few of us still have them).

In Australia, he said that the wooden fences and sheds, would be viewed
as tatty. He said that in Oz sheds and fences are made from brightly
coloured corrugated iron, and that is the done thing.

Strange that we have ended up taking such totally different viewpoints on
the two methods of construction.

Yours,

Rich.