[modeleng] Re: Screwcutting

  • From: "Jesse Livingston" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 18:42:31 -0600

Eric,

Sure and what you have is a screw thread gauge for some type thread series.
Each "blade" has a different pitch thread on it and you keep trying them
until you find one that exactly matches whatever screw you are trying to
make a nut for. The blades are marked as to the pitch and since you live in
Jolly Olde England, they are probably for Whitworth threads.  Anyhoo, the
outside of the handle will tell what they are intended for.  My gauge is for
American threads and ranges from 2 tpi to 80 or 90 tpi.

It could possibly be a gear tooth gauge, but I seriously doubt that.

Jesse in Ten-0-See USA