[modeleng] Re: SW board

  • From: "R.L. Roebuck" <rlr20@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 23:50:36 +0000 (GMT)

Short whistle might make sense in that if you are working in a long tunnel
and someone really hangs of the whistle, the sound will echo up and then
back down the tunnel again - making it impossible to work out from which
direction the engine is approaching (and so which track is the safe one to
be stood on - pre H & S of course).

A short whistle would help prevent this.

Also, if you were faced with two train entering the tunnel from different
ends (again assuming twin tracks in same tunnel), if one sounded it's
whistle for a long period of time, it could obscure the sound of a train
at the other end of the tunnel sounding it's whistle.

I guess there may not be one standard anyhow, even amoungst the pe or post
grouping railway companies in the UK, let alone compared to the US for
example.

There is also the plain W convention for whistle, which would imply that
if part of the same system, SW would be unlikely to be sound whistle, it
would more likely be short.

Yours,

Rich.