[modeleng] Replacable Tips now silver solder

  • From: Harry Wade <hww@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 18:13:39 -0500

At 11:50 PM 10/18/05 +0100, you wrote:
>There would seem to be two lessons here:  1) Don't quench boilers.

     I fail to see how this conclusion can be drawn from a few isolated
cases of cracking.  In years of reading I can never recall a single
cautionary reference to quenching and I've quenched nearly 100 copper
boilers and never had a crack, but then I've never used anything but new
silver solder from a known source.  Quenching serves a useful purpose.

>2) Only buy the best

     I can completely agree with this.  Boilers are no place to skimp on
materials.

Regards,
Harry