[modeleng] Re: Replacable Tips now silver solder

  • From: "Ron Head" <ron.head@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 23:50:36 +0100

Hi Clif

I heard another horror story yesterday.  If you follow Doug Hewson's
articles in EIM, you will read that he has had to scrap a boiler due to
cracking of the silver solder.  I met Doug at the Midlands exhibition
yesterday and he told me that the solder was sold to him as Easyflo, but it
was actually an equivalent supplied by a well known advertiser who also
attends most of the shows.  The suspicion is that the silver content is
reclaimed and contains impurities that affect the properties, i.e. causing
embrittlement.  Doug says he knows several other people who have had similar
trouble.

I asked Doug if he quenches his boilers and he says yes (gently with a fine
spray from a hose), but hasn't had this problem of cracking before. The
solder takes on a distinct greyish colour when pickled, instead of the
expected bright colour.

There would seem to be two lessons here:
1) Don't quench boilers.
2) Only buy the best i.e. Johnson Matthey for use on boilers.

The show, by the way, was brilliant - much better than Donington IMHO.

Regards
Ron