[modeleng] Re: Replacable Tips

  • From: "alan Stepney" <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 01:46:12 +0100

I gather that modern carbide tips are far more able to withstand
intermittent cuts.

Like everything else, I suspect the quality and grade varies, and perhaps
these were either, particularly hard and chip easily,  sub-standard,
el-cheapo's, a less popular grade perhaps for some specific purpose. (As
have been mentioned.)

Like several others here, I do have one tool-plus-tips, but it rarely sees
the light of day.
Heck, it was too expensive to actually USE !!
However, when buying it, I was surprised at the variety of grades and types
available, so suspect that (wrong grade) may
be the problem.

Alan Stepney

http://www.alanstepney.info
Model Engineering & steam engine information pages