[modeleng] Re: Replacable Tips

  • From: "JESSE LIVINGSTON" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 03:24:23 -0500

May I humbly suggest that my fellow modelers with our smallish lathes take
all of their carbide tipped tooling and put it securely out of sight.  Our
light duty machine tools have no business being forced to use carbide as
carbide tooling is for production work and/or castings embedded with sand or
hard materials.  We are not into production, or at least most of us are not,
so stick with the much freer cutting HSS tool bits and use the carbide only
when it HAS to be used.  Your machines will thank you for it by having their
lives extended many fold.  What carbide tools I have were made by myself by
silver soldering used carbide saw blade tips to pieces of 1/4" keystock.  I
give my home brew tools a lot of back rake and front clearance so they do
not have to push the metal off the workpiece, but instead, cut more like HSS
tools.  Even then, I use the tools only when absolutely necessary.  Also, I
do a lot of short run light production work and use HSS tooling for that
instead of carbide.

Jesse, retired machinist in Tennessee USA