[modeleng] Re: Re 3" Burrell

  • From: "JESSE LIVINGSTON" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 08:58:48 -0500

Al,

Never heard of Biros, but then I don't go looking about in Wally World any
more then necessary.

At the GM&O, we first hand scraped  valve seats on the locomotive brake
valves and then used a polishing compound called "Putz Pomade"(sp)  to do a
final lapping.  GM&O would not buy the Putz Pomade so we got it from a bloke
at the IC RR where they kept it for polishing brass doorknobs etc.  We made
our scrapers by hollow grinding 8" trangular files to a sort of rounded
point.  Make good scrapers those files do, provided you are careful not to
over heat them while grinding.

Jesse