[modeleng] Pumps

  • From: "alanjstepney" <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 04:49:02 -0000

As I am sure most here will know, the early water pumping engines were beam
engines, a few of which still exist.
I am always amazed to see the volumes that they pumped.

However, that pales into insignificance beside the latest pumps.
According to the BBC,

The Government has announced that funds are likely to be available for a
£40m scheme to protect 250,000 people in Cambs and Norfolk from regular
floods.
The cash is for an upgrade of a pumping station, near King's Lynn in
Norfolk, that protects thousands of homes.
The 70-year-old station controls one of the largest areas of agricultural
land below sea level in Europe.
The pumping station houses one of the largest pumps in the UK and 5,000
tonnes of water pass through every minute.
 5,000 tons a minute???? Wow, that is a LOT of water!
I assume an electric powered centrifugal pump.
I was wondering what type of pump that would be?

Does anyone know?

alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

www.alanstepney.info
Model Engineering, Steam Engine, and Railway technical pages.