[modeleng] Re: Parting is such sweet sorrow!

  • From: "Chris Crosskey" <chris.crosskey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 09:56:00 -0000

I built a rear toolpost of my own (one big ugly lump of continuous cast
square CI bar) to accommodate a standard Iscar indexable carbide parting
off bar. It has a fence on it to ensure it gets aligned properly and I
can mount it in less than a minute.... As a result I'm never tempted to
try and part off from the front tool because "it'll take too long...."
This has led to an end of what could be a fairly traumatic time each
parting operation..... indeed for a while I was making short batch
production runs (200 or so at a time) of 6mm and 10mm stainless pillars
for the company I work for and during that time I've probably done more
manual parting operations than most ME's my age.... I'd recommend
indexable carbide to everyone for parting, the Kit-Q-Cut is a good tool
but the same thing can be sorted out for far less money by buying an
Iscar or Sandvik parting off bar and making the post to fit it.....
chrisc