[modeleng] Re: Off Topic posts

  • From: "Terry Lane" <tel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 06:49:04 +1000

Fair enough AJ - sometimes we do tend to stray a bit wide of the point. You
'eard blokes - steamed BP and boiled Y's M from now on

> Guys, please could I ask that everyone curtails off-topic posts.
> There are two reasons for this request.
>
> Firstly, at Bristol ME Exhibition on Saturday I met two people who used to
be members of the "old" list, and who left due to "the amount of off-topic
banter". one of them is an experienced award winner and I am sure that many
of us could learn from him.

> Secondly, the people who hosts this list have stated their dislike of
off-topic posts on lists.

> They say,
> >In general: don't use any lude(sic) /questionable language, keep your
post on-topic, don't flame anyone,

> and,
>
> >We do have limited bandwidth, and we can't afford to fill it up with
things like "Lucy's Tips on Fingernail Polishing at the BusStop."

> Also, in their initial message to me when I set the list up, they state
that,

> >(lists must have a technical basis), and,
>
> > we monitor lists and if we find that they are filled with junk like cake
recipes we will cancel them

> Hence, if they do happen to monitor this list at a time when there is a
lot of banter, we could find that we no longer have a list at all.!

> I don't believe that the occasional off-topic post matters, and indeed, I
would not wish to limit them to that extent, but I would ask that everyone
keeps them in moderation.

> For clarification, I am not referring to any present topic. Anything that
is related to model engineering or steam is generally OK.