[modeleng] Re: OMES Cold Saw MEC 350

  • From: "R.L. Roebuck" <rlr20@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 13:24:21 +0100 (BST)

Hi there John,

I have to confess that I am not that familiar with the more traditional
methods of providing a three speed three phase motor (though I might be
able to hazzard a guess), but if the single speed three phase motors are
anything to go by, I would suspect that there are not that many different
speeds that it can possibly have been (ie for a single speed motor,
running of 50Hz, with no cunning electronics, you are constrained to just
under:

3000rpm/1=3000rpm,
3000rpm/2=1500rpm,
3000rpm/3=1000rpm
etc

...though the above three speeds are the most common (after that the
number of seperate windings in the motor gets a bit prohibitive, though
not impossible).

Can anyone with more knowledge than I on this specific point shed any
light on this?

Having identified this point, motor power usually scales rougly with motor
volume, so if you have an idea how large the main part of the motor was,
you might be able to come up with a reasonable estimate of what the motor
HP rating was.

Yours,

Rich.