[modeleng] Non sprayable paint

  • From: "Clifton" <clif.gwr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 20:52:41 -0000

Hi All,
I have scratch built a 5" gauge model of a GWR diesel railcar and am at the
moment painting it using an Airbrush in chocolate & cream.

After trying to match the cream colour using ordinary DIY paint I gave up &
purchased some Phoenix paint.

For the Chocolate I thought that I had it cracked with some Rustins small job
gloss paint at a fraction of the Phoenix paint cost.

When I tried to spray the Rustins,no matter how much I thinned it ,it would not
spray. I virtually finished up spraying just White spirit.

After two abortive spraying attempts I contacted Rustins paints & got a reply
that the small job gloss was not suitable for spraying. It is apparently what
they call a thick surface paint which can only be applied by brush.

I had to bite the bullet & buy more Phoenix paint but it was a interesting
lesson learned.

I always assumed that if a paint could be thinned it could be sprayed.

Regards

Clif