[modeleng] Re: Nashville Triangle?

  • From: "Jesse Livingston" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 12:57:32 -0600

Harry,

I don't know what goes on over at Ashland City, but I remember Al asking a
question about how to keep his silver solder flux from climbing up the
inside of its container and out over the rim.  This was several years ago so
maybe the vortex has slowed down its spiral.  Speaking of distilled spirits,
they had a demonstration program at Land Between the Lakes about 20 years
ago.  They  got hold of two genuine old time distillers who had made their
living by dodging, not always successfully I might add, the long arm of the
Revenooers.  Anyway, they had built a nice copper still and every two weeks
they would run off a batch for the edification of the public.  Invariably,
when they switched bottles at the discharge spout, a little bit of the magic
potion would run on the ground and mix with some water that had accumulated
under the spout. An old tomcat from the barn happened by while I was there
and drank some of the mixture from the puddle.  Two weeks later, they almost
didn't have the still running before the same old cat showed up.  Must have
been good stuff.! There was always a gumment agent in attendance and he made
sure that ALL of the "product" was poured out in the grass.  The spent mash
was tossed over the fence into a hog lot where several happy hogs cleaned it
up.

One of the distillers had as many as 8 stills running at one time and bought
his sugar directly from the mills in Louisiana by the truck load.  The
stills, at least those which hadn't been destroyed continued to operate
while he was spending time in the Federal Pokey.  The land in that area was
not really much good for farming so corn was raised in the few small areas
that had soil on them.  Not nearly enough corn could be raised to support a
family unless it was converted into liquid form and transported to large
cities.

At this point I would like to make it clear, I do not nor have I ever used
my Newbie locomotive boiler to make corn squeezings.  Several people
including Al Messer and a certain Ozonian* have tried to convince everyone
that I use the boiler illegally to produce "Newbie Juice".

*Initials are TEL.

Jesse in slightly sleety Troy TN