[modeleng] Re: Mystery thread

  • From: "Dennis Jewitt" <dennis.jewitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 14:32:31 -0000

From: "Harry Wade" <hww@xxxxxxxx>
To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, November 22, 2007 2:04 PM
Subject: [modeleng] Re: Mystery thread

> My next task will be to fabricate the step pulleys and this brings me to a
question for the group, which is, . . . in order to slack the V-belt for
speed changes I plan to use an idler pulley and in thinking about that it
occurred to me that the idler must be on the "slack" side of the driving
pulley as opposed to the "pulling" side. Am I correct in this, or does it
matter in the long run?

> Regards,
> Harry

I think it is better to have the idler on the slack side, primarily to
reduce wear and tear.  As V belts generally don't like being bent backwards
you will need to use a vs. pulley as the idler . I have a very short V belt
run on my milling machine vertical head and the idler does reduce the pulley
wrap significantly but if you have a decent distance between centres this
should not be an issue unless you have a lot of belt slack to take up.

Best Regards
Dennis
Kent UK