[modeleng] Re: Morality was Model prices

  • From: "Clifton" <clif.gwr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 16:21:56 +0100

Hi Phill.

No problem with loco's performance but the club that I used to run at was
ground level.
You would not believe how a loco that looked large on the bench could
disappear on the ground.

The only performance problem I had was keeping the fire hot.
I found that the wide grate did not give sufficient draught to keep the fire
going well even with a double blast pipe. Once I fitted a narrower ashpan &
grate to force the air through the fire, it went quite nicely.

On hind sight I think that the LBSC combustion space in the boiler was a
useless idea as the firebox is quite big. It made the boiler difficult to
make, if a tube leaked it was impossible to fix & I would rather have more
reserve of boiling water.

Clif