[modeleng] Re: Mica and sTELlar wit

  • From: "Jeff Dayman" <jeffdayman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 08:49:34 -0400

Very funny TEL, I see my time away has not dulled the stellar wit from
points under.

Anyway- I had a thought for Roger re Mica in his soldering iron  - at
appliance repair shops they usually have many sizes of ceramic insulator
spools and tubes for use when replacing heating elements. One of these might
be usable to replace the mica. Mica has largely been replaced over the years
as an electrical insulator in tools and appliances by ceramics and thermoset
plastics. I do know mica sheets are available for replacing woodstove
windows and for insulating large transistors, but don't know where to find
rolled mica.

Failing a repair, an new iron should not be hard to find - there are some
very inexpensive ones around. If the old one has sentimental value, maybe
you could gut a new one and transplant the innards of it into the old case?

Good luck, Jeff Dayman Waterloo Ontario Canada