[modeleng] Metals

  • From: "alanjstepney" <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 21:31:49 -0000

Over the years I have gathered several bits of metal, which must be a type
hitherto unknown to anyone.
Or at least, that is what I assume as it is impossible to machine by any
technique I have ever seen, and resists every attempt to convert it into
anything useful!

One metal I have never had any problems with is cast iron.
That is, until yesterday evening..

I wanted to turn an old (50 years old +) casting into something else.
All I needed to do, to start with,  was reduce the diameter.
Unfortunately no matter what combination of speed feed and cut I used,
nothing would get under the skin. Even a carbide tool skated across the
surface unless I applied so much cut that it stalled the motor.
A file didnt mark it appreciably, and only a  diamond file made a reasonable
impression upon it.

A normal grinding wheel was useless, but a green-grit wheel did take some
off.

Having consigned it to the "might come in useful one day" box  again, I
wonder what the reason is.
Anyone have any ideas or (polite) suggestions?

Meanwhile, a piece of mild steel did what I wanted it to.

alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

www.alanstepney.info
Model Engineering, Steam Engine, and Railway technical pages.