[modeleng] Re: Loctite

  • From: Harry Wade <hww@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 12:29:41 -0500

At 06:08 PM 8/10/04 +0100, you wrote:
> I hope I haven't stirred up a hornets nest with this one!

     I haven't heard any buzzing . . . .

>I turned the axles to a really snug fit in the wheels (to ensure true
running) and
>turned the middle portion down by a further 2 thou to make room for the
>Loctite.

      I think that's the prudent thing to do because the Loctite film
itself cannot guarantee concentricity or axial alignment.  Half-a-thou'
lean at the hub will translate into considerably more at the rim.

>My understanding also was that Loctite - type joints
>alone were perfectly acceptable in industry and that our belt and braces ME
>technique of the inserted pin was not strengthening but in fact weakening
>the joint we had just made.

      I wonder if we are not more concerned about the effects of a
breakdown in service than general industry?

>Irrespective of any temperature rise as a result of drilling,

      I believe this (the heat from drilling) is negligible and would not
come into play under normal circumstances.  However, I do seem to remember
that Al once mentioned that he considers sharp drill bits to be the easy
way out and prefers the challenge of shoving a blunt drill through, hence
heat may indeed be a factor for him.

Regards,
Harry