[modeleng] Re: Lathe for sale

  • From: "Jesse Livingston" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 07:28:05 -0600

 Jesse,

 I thought you would know that most lathes made "chips" :-)

 Cheers

 Peter
 (Freezing Trowbridge)

Good and very insightful thought Peter,  I would never have thought of a
proper  answer like that!  I just couldn't figure out what a sack of taters
was doing leaning against Alan's new/old lathe and my tiny brain ceased
functioning properly.

 But over there in Old Blighty I have heard that lathes make some obscure
substance called "swarf" instead of our chips.  However, I have noticed that
my lathes make an indigestible type chip instead of the tasty "tater" type.
Then too, how does one mix in the Garlic and Onion flavours with these lathe
chips?  Unless one uses a liberal supply of cutting oil, the flavourings
would not adhere to the lathe chips.

Speaking of chips (lathe type that is), back when I was an apprentice at
Iselin shops, one of my fellow apprentices had just gotten married and
returned from a nice honeymoon.  He was wearing "bib" overalls at work and
them rather loose along the front.  A nice heavy chip, one of the bright
blue ones of course) popped up and slithered down inside the bib.  It
progressed along his chest leaving small blister marks, but its final
resting place was farther down on a rather important, but delicate part of
his anatomy where it stuck a little while until his frantic activity managed
to dislodge it.  Sort of slowed up his "home work" for a week or so, but he
recovered and his marriage saved.  No, I didn't make up the tale, it
actually happened, so there ye doubters.!!!

Jesse in 43 degree F Troy, TN where the sun is shining brightly.

Subject: [modeleng] Re: Lathe and sack of potatoes for sale

----- Original Message ----- From: "Alan Stepney" <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Saturday, November 29, 2008 4:34 AM
Subject: [modeleng] Lathe for sale

As some of you may recall, a couple of years ago I bought an old lathe.
Having cleaned it off and given it a coat of paint, I then tried to identify
it. As far as I can discover, it was made under a joint Colchester +
Britannia project for the Royal Navy. This one was probably on a destroyer,

Since giving it its initial clean, I haven't had the chance to do anything
more. It is stored in a pals garage, and he will be moving shortly, so it
must go.

Picture at: http://www.alanstepney.info/lathe.jpg To give an indication of
scale, the cast iron drip tray is 54" long.

It comes with faceplate and 3 and 4 jaw chucks, (But these don't have
backplates), and a Carter hydraulic variable speed drive. All one needs to
do is add a motor. The gears are worn, but apart from that, it is so solid
that it will outlast most of us!

It will have to be collected (from Nr Bournemouth), and weighs close to a
ton. To move it, it will need to be dismantled which I am happy to do.

Price? £100 ono.

More details + photos on request.

6:52 PM