[modeleng] Lathe for sale

  • From: "Alan Stepney" <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 10:34:04 -0000

As some of you may recall, a couple of years ago I bought an old lathe.
Having cleaned it off and given it a coat of paint, I then tried to identify
it.
As far as I can discover, it was made under a joint Colchester + Britannia
project for the Royal Navy.
This one was probably on a destroyer,

Since giving it its initial clean, I havent had the chance to do anything
more.
It is stored in a pals garage, and he will be moving shortly, so it must go.

Picture at: http://www.alanstepney.info/lathe.jpg
To give an indication of scale, the cast iron drip tray is 54" long.

It comes with faceplate and 3 and 4 jaw chucks, (But these dont have
backplates), and a Carter hydraulic variable speed drive. All one needs to
do is add a motor.
The gears are worn, but apart from that, it is so solid that it will outlast
most of us!

It will have to be collected (from Nr Bournemouth), and weighs close to a
ton. To move it, it will need to be dismantled which I am happy to do.

Price? £100 ono.

More details + photos on request.