[modeleng] Re: Krackle finish paint

I have used the spray on stuff from the local car shop. There is also some
stuff stocked in my local ironmongers/ general hardware/farm supply shop
(the advantage of living in rural Wiltshire!), which I haven't tried. For
the spray on stuff, you need to have everything fairly warm (at least 20
degrees C), and the spray nozzle tends to clog very easily, in an almost
permant fashion. I haven't yet successfully part used  a can and been able
to use it again. This, by the way, was black crackle, used for restoring a
1939 National HRO receiver for anyone interested.........Blue/grey and
olive drab crackles don't seem to be available any more.
The spray on stuff is also a fairly 'coarse' crackle, rather than the very
fine crackle that you see used on avionics stuff, so it tends to be a
'shiny' crackle rather than the very matt finish beloved in avionics
because it minimises reflections.

I have genrally gone over to using Hammerite, although the 'hammer' is
pretty coarse, compared with the 'oyster hammer finish' we had in my young
days at Marconi. For small items, I use a wire brush on the bare aluminium
(wearing protective gloves, storeman's dust coat and protective goggles),
folowed by a clear spray. Using the wire brush is also useful as a surface
preparation when you want paint to stick.

Why is it that paint in the wrong place sticks like S*** to a blanket (as
the old RAF term has it), but despite careful preparation, drops off a
something where you really want it to stay?

Peter Chadwick
Swindon

MODEL ENGINEERING DISCUSSION LIST.