[modeleng] Re: Identifying collet chucks

  • From: "Wilfried Vermeiren" <vermeiren.wilfried@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 21:16:58 +0200

Hi,
We all agreed that they were original Myfords collets . expensive stuff.
However there is a neat not so expensive and very user-friendly device on
the market. Far eastern origin.
It looks a bit like a lathe chuck with a key operation like a full chuck.
But the working part were collets of the kind with the to and from slits.
They close even along their length unlike most who only close and grip the
work at the closing end. I saw it on sale at Warco and a few others at the
last ME shows. Since it has to be mounted on a back plate, it could be made
to fit a Myford and it leaves the whole of the tiny hole in the lathe
spindle free to poke things thru.
I for me prefer to use shorter ends of stock using a collets. It puts much
less strain on the collets. Or failing that use a guide plug for the stock
material at the change wheel end.
Regards
Wilfried Vermeiren
http://users.skynet.be/modelbouw.wilfried