[modeleng] Re: Giving rides to small children

  • From: "John Pagett" <john_pagett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2005 15:05:12 +0100

Garry,

Yes, I have heard of the new rules. There was some information in the
September Southern Fed Newsletter. Whatever the rights and wrongs of the
system, it is surely proper that children are not put at risk.

As far as club rules go, we will have to make sure that suitable protection
is incorporated into the rules/running procedures. There is a fact sheet
(Information Sheet 001) with the newsletter. As far as I can see, in the
particular circumstances at my club, the main thing is to ensure that we do
not touch children exept in an emergency. Certainly our members have been
aware of possible risks in picking them up onto the train, or moving them
once on, for some time, so I don't think it will make a great difference to
actually running trains.

Yes, it's a shame that a bit more trust has been lost from the world, but
that's the way it is.

Incidentally, children in this sense are anyone under 18 years old.

I suppose I'd better add that these are my opinions after reading some
relevent material, and do not necessarily represent the policy of any
organisation. (Apologies to the members of the legal fraternity in the
group - I'm only an engineer!)

Cheers,

JohnP