[modeleng] Re: Gear wear

  • From: "Terry Lane" <tel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 22:34:02 +1000

Well AJ, that is just one o' them things that defies apparent logic.
Actually, the answer is usually quite simple - the softer material 'picks
up' grit and other hard stuff which embeds in it's surface making it, in
effect, a sort of lap or hone.

You only have to look at some of the old line shafting that ran in shearing
sheds & other places in this country - these shafts were often carried in
wooden (red gum for preference) bearings & I've seen 1 1/2" steel shafting
pretty much worn thru' while the wooden bearing was hardly touched.