[modeleng] Re: Fw: airbus cockpit 380 360 view

  • From: Peter Sheppard <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 08:59:23 +0000

Which Peter :-)

On an Airbus there are 3 primary flight computers and 2 secondary flight
computers. Only one computer is needed to fly teh aircraft and these all
work in parallel so there is no "changeover" delay.  The primary and
secondary computers are designed and built by different companies to make
sure there are no what are called "common cause failures".

Each control surface is controlled by a number of actuators each of which
is driven from a different channel, so one computer or one actuator going
down won't affect the control of that surface.

There are three different hydraulic systems using different routes through
the aircraft.

I'll take the other Peter's word on the fuel management system.  I'm not so
familiar with that.

On signalling systems we tend to have a two out of three system using
identical computers and if it all suffers "perpendicular mammary syndrome",
we just turn the signals to red and stop all the trains!

Cheers

Peter
(Trowbridge, Railway Signalling Engineer)