[modeleng] Re: Fusible Plugs

  • From: "alan stepney" <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 07:52:34 +0100

It is usually an alloy of tin + lead plus whatever.

Tubal Cain lists several alloys with their melting points in his Model
Engineers handboook.

I have always used 60:40 tin/lead, the ordinary electricians solder (that
which is 64:36 is OK), as that melts at a temperature which equates to
around 150psi, and has a very limited range between solidus and liquidus.
(it melts suddenly, which is what one needs.)

I believe I am correct in saying that Australian rules require straight
lead, which melts at a much higher temperature.

Alan