[modeleng] Full size problem!

  • From: "Peter Sheppard" <psbr20252@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 09:15:08 +0100 (BST)

One for the mechanical engineers amongst you!

I'm now on bio diesel with my car.  I buy it in 45 gallon drums from a
local supplier. He loads it into my landrover using a forklift, I get it
out of the landie at my end using some very dubious means using a lifting
table scaffold board a acr jack and axle stands (that would probably give
the H&SE apoplexy!)

I have an electric hoist (not yet fitted) but after two nights ago it soon
will be!  It is designed to sit on a tube (and thus can slide).  The span
of my car port is approximately 3m, the maximum load of the hoist is
400kg.

I don't know the weight of 200 litres of cooking oil, but if it were water
it would weigh 200kg, so the hoist will cope with it.

If we assume that the design is for a maximum load of 400kg (the hoist
maximum), what sort of diameter tube will I need to prevent it flexing in
the middle, assuming a 3m span?  I'll then check the size of the aperture
on the hoist and may have to reverse the question......

Cheers

Peter