[modeleng] French railway Museum

  • From: peter chadwick <g8on@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2012 15:49:56 +0200

I spent Monday in Mulhouse at the French national railway museum. It's BIG!
Some impressive stuff there. Well worth a visit.
Noticeable that practically everything French built was a compound, and a
prediliction for inside axle boxes on trailing pony trucks and bogies, unlike
the UK where outside axle boxes were pretty well de rigeur to keep the ash out.
So I got a key ring for the wife's collection. Other than toy key rings, one
had a choice - either a TGV or Mallard! In France........perhaps it shows that
they know superiority when they see it!.
It was interesting to see the only remaining Crampton, too.
Peter Chadwick (Geneva for the next week and a half)