[modeleng] Re: Free Cutting Steel

Hi Roger

The reason for the controversy over weldability, is that not all
free-cutting steels contain lead!  A free-cutting steel has a high sulphur
content to improve the machinability, at the expense of a reduction in
tensile strength and ductility.  Lead can also be added to give an increased
tool life.  The confusion arises from the fact that (here in the UK) BS 970
doesn’t specify any lead content at all, hence any added lead is at the
steel supplier’s discretion.  The leaded version was sometimes referred to
as En1APb, but nowadays it is all 230M07 regardless of lead content.

Macready’s list both 230M07 unleaded ("Usaspeed", colour code green) and
230M07 leaded ("Usaled", colour code magenta).  The main advantage of
free-cutting steels in industry is that skip loads of curly swarf are
replaced by a few bins of small chips.  I would suggest that for our work,
they are largely irrelevant.

As we have no way of knowing the lead content of free-cutting steels bought
over the counter, the best advice regarding welding is – don’t even try it!
I tried once and got into a terrible mess.  Silver soldering is a different
matter, and I've had no trouble in this respect.

Regards

Ron Head

Oxford