[modeleng] Re: Conway

  • From: "Dave Beaman" <davebeaman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 14:56:01 +0100

Hi Harry,

With a full sized loco, there is usually a copper inner firebox and a steel
outer box, these two are held together by steel and copper stays. Also, the
firebox tubeplate is usually copper and the tubes rolled into it are steel.
Both metals have different rates of expansion as we all know but when an
engine is running with the regulator open, a constant temperature is
maintained. If the firehole door is opened with the regulator open, there is
a great influx of cold air straight onto the tubeplate. This causes the
steel to contract quicker than the copper and leads to leaking tubes and
stays. If the door is opened when the engine is working, there is a flap on
a hinge that should be lifted and this directs the cold air onto the
firebed. If you remember that a loco working will generate up to 3000 deg f
in the firebox so normal outside air will cool things drastically. I have
seen one of our boilersmiths on the SVR, throwing a total paddy because the
tubes that had been put in the loco only 2 weeks before were leaking and had
been steam tight the day previous. Although it cannot be proven, the only
sure cause was running with the firehole door open. Extra unnecessary
expense and manpower to re-roll them again.

With boilers in 5" and 31/2" gauges, they are silver soldered copper
tubeplates, barrels and tubes and whilst there is a slight difference in the
expansion rates of silver solder, it is all "glued together" and doesn't
suffer the stresses of a riveted steel/ copper boiler.
Hope this helps.

Dave.