[modeleng] Re: Char

  • From: "alan Stepney" <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 20:53:55 +0100

Coal is probably THE best fuel, if, and it is a big IF, you can get the
right quality.
From being one of the largest coal producers, we now import most of our
supplies.
Some from Poland, some from Argentina, from China, and other places.
The quality is very variable, and that causes many of the problems we suffer
from.

The industrial char you mention, must have a lower calorific value than coal
(decent coal) as brown coal itself, has a lower calorific value.

As for charcoal, apart from the expense, (dear, over here) that too has a
lower calorific value than coal.

Of course, cal val isnt everything.
Clinker causes problems, as does the amount of tar in the coal. Much also
has inclusions of stones of various types, which cause problems.
The original Welsh steam coal  had quite a lot of tar and would cake
together to a red hot mass of fire, that would then continue to give off
amazing amounts of heat for a long time, before falling apart into dust.
Unfortunately, Welsh Steam Coal  is now used generically for a wide range of
coals, hardly any of which come from Wales, and all of which have different
properties.

As for the bit about carbon monoxide, this is always present with
combustion, and far worse with coke.
Given the correct air ratio it should all be burned in the firebox, but
rarely do "we" have the exact ratio or air to do so.

Alan Stepney

http://www.alanstepney.info
Model Engineering & steam engine information pages