[modeleng] Re: Char

  • From: "Lee Grant" <leegrant@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 20:44:55 +1000

I have copied a few paragraphs from AME on part of the test. I hope it
doesn't infringe copyright laws to much.
Australian Model Engineering  Issue 119
By  Warwick Allison

"One final experiment was to burn some of the Welsh coal side by side with
char and a piece of Collie coal souvenired at the last Bunbury convention.
This done by playing a small propane torch on the pieces sitting on a fire
brick."

(This is certainly not the Welsh coal that Alan described)

"The Welsh coal flaked into pieces. Each piece was shiny bright black, and
it burnt as it did this. Once the pieces were about 3-4mm, there was no more
burning. There was virtually no flame. In some respects it literally fell
apart when heated and any heat it produced was during this process, and it
was fairly limited at that. When the flame was removed, the burning process
stopped fairly quickly."

(Collie coal is a West Australian coal not available on the eastern
seaboard)

"The Collie coal was very volatile, not needing much encouragement to create
a good flame. It crackled as it burnt (definitely a coal with character!).
There was an amount of smoke, and the coal broke down into a pumice dull
black appearance. It seemed to keep doing this delivering relatively plenty
of fire after removal of the heat source. The smoke emission was probably
the dirtiest of the three, but I have seen a lot worse!"

(This next bit is why I asked the question about BBQ Fuel)

"The char stayed in one lump, and its performance was closer to BBQ heat
beads than coal (which is not surprising seeing the company also produces
this type of product). It took a while to heat up, but when it was hot it
just glowed and retained its heat. It did not break down, but rather the
piece just shrank smaller as the outside surface turned light brown and this
powder fell away. This was at a fairly slow rate. There was no flame. When
the flame was removed it stayed glowing and hot the longest of all three."

 "Char's advantage is that you just shovel it in and it works! We have been
spoilt by it and most of us are not expert in the operation of our live
steamers with black. The Welsh coal is probably closer to char in its
operation than other black coals, and if you would like to use black, then
its convenient size, cleanliness, reduced hot spark emission and lack of
clinker are points worthy of consideration"