[modeleng] Re: Char

  • From: "JESSE LIVINGSTON" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 22:34:52 -0500

I always wondered about the steam pressure Humph had on that teapot boiler.
It seemed to be so low that he could wrap the line with a rag while running.
Also I believe he even stuck the steam hose back on the engine after it came
loose or was shot loose by a lucky shot from those black boys who were
taking pot shots at it.  I don't remember him mistreating the engine, but he
had to kick the boiler a few times.

I have the book by Kate Hepburn called "How I went to Africa with Bogart,
Betty and John and almost went crazy".  She tells of her experiences during
the filming, but the one I like the best is when she almost fainted from the
heat and odor in the little bush church in the opening scenes. As she put
it, "The  smell from the great unwashed about did me in."  As to the
"Queen", she says it sank at least one time during the night and had to be
pumped out before they could continue the filming.  Those really close up
photos looking back toward the engine and boiler were made with a half boat
towed behind the raft like thing that they used for the cameras.  Been a
while since I saw the movie so I guess we need to watch it again.  I need to
see "The Sand Pebbles" again too so I can see that beautimus compound engine
run even though it was doing so on air instead of steam.  Bill Cody says the
air is why it ran a bit jerkily and that with steam that would not have
happened.

Oh, Lauren Bacall is still a foxy looking dame.

Jesse in Tennessee