[modeleng] Re: Casting Questions

  • From: "JESSE LIVINGSTON" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 20:48:06 -0500

Bob,

The foundry manual I rely on is a reprint by Lindsay of the US Navy Foundry
Manual for Repair Ships.  A very worthy addition to anyone's library as it
was written for the complete idiot to learn foundry work.  Not that our
sailors were idiots by a long shot, but I doubt that any of them had ever
been exposed to foundry work in any form.  The repair ships were equipped
with a complete foundry and machine shop so warships could be repaired in
the theatre of operations instead of having to sail thousands of miles to a
port for repairs. Being a land lubber, I never even thought that such repair
ships existed.  I knew that all warships have machine shops in them, but
completely dedicated repair ships???  I shoulda had oughta joined the Navy
instead of Uncle's Army.

Jesse