[modeleng] Re: Casting Questions

  • From: Roger Mason <roger.g3tdm@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 May 2005 16:34:47 +0100

Hi,

    Jesse said:

>and none of us got
>burnt while we used a wet putty like material (probably asbestos based, this
>was in the pre-EPA days) to build a low dam to contain the metal.

    In an aluminium foundry,  part of an outfit I worked for many years
ago,   the substance used to plug up leaks and generally control the
flow of molten aluminium was uncooked dough - as used to make bread.
It was delivered every morning fresh from the bakery near-by!   It sure
made the foundry smell nice!!

    We used to cast large diameter aluminium billets in a continuous
casting process.   The dies were made of copper and were water cooled.
The water,  when it passed through the die just trickled down the sides
of the,  by,  now solid aluminium cylindrical billet.   And you guys are
worried about a little dampness!! :-)

       Cheers,

          Roger Mason,  in a lovely spring day in St. Agnes.