[modeleng] Re: Casting Questions

  • From: Doug Edwards <stueart@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 08:32:59 -0700

I pour bronze on occasion at 1950f, and started doing so on concrete.  I
later read
this was not recommended, but I have never had the concrete pop.  The
I was in was on old concrete in the middle of summer in a dry climate,
which may
have had something to do with it.

On the other hand, I have never seen a commercial investment foundry that
didn't pour over cement, and that included ferrous alloys closer to 3000F.

All I can say is draw your own conclusions.  By my experiences,  I sure

Charles & Dorothy Brumbelow wrote:

>First -
>All "the books" say one should not set up to melt and pour aluminum or other
>high melting temperature metals on a concrete floor, because when (not if)
>there is a spill the moisture within the concrete will turn to steam with
>explosive force, sending shrapnel flying.
>A sand working area is recommended.
>What happens if the sand is damp and molten metal is spilled on it?
>Second -
>When the mold ready for pouring is being moved from the bench where it was
>rammed up to the place where the metal will be poured, should it be carried
>on and later set on top of a board to keep the rammed sand from falling out
>or getting collapsed by irregularities in the sand floor?  This would be a
>board such as is used when the cope or drag is being flipped for pattern
>Thanks, Charles
>To UNSUBSCRIBE from this list, send a blank email to,
>modeleng-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

Doug Edwards
Building a 70 ton Willamette in 1.6"
Building a 80 ton Climax in 1.6"